EKU African and African American Studies
The African/African-American Studies Program (AFA) at Eastern Kentucky University offers students the opportunity to engage with the histories, stories, and experiences of Africans and peoples of African descent around the world. These often-overlooked narratives can help us make sense of a globalized world, present-day socio-political issues in the US, and our own identities.
The program currently offers a minor or certificate to EKU students. Our faculty members are drawn from diverse academic fields and backgrounds, and offer a wide range of classes (see our Spring 2017 offerings here). We are committed to encouraging student research and community involvement beyond the classroom.
WHY GET A MINOR OR CERTIFICATE IN AFA?
- AFA Offers Fundamental Knowledge about the unique contributions of Africana peoples to human civilizations from the ancient period to the present.
- AFA Offers Diversity Studies and Employable Skills that prepare students to thrive in a world or workplace that increasingly recognizes the importance of multiculturalism, inclusiveness, and diversity.
- AFA Offers Skills in Interdisciplinary Methods and Approaches that enhance students’ critical thinking, writing, and speaking skills, tools they will need to excel in their lives and careers.
- AFA Offers Global and Comparative Perspectives that compare the experience, lives, ideas, movements of Africana peoples in every part of the world to other groups.
- AFA Offers Training in race, gender, class, and social justice that complements students’ degrees and prepares them for careers in: Education, Social Work, Law, Community Organization, Politics, Business, Counseling, Recreation, Management, Urban and Regional Planning, Media, Government, Law, Enforcement, Marketing, Immigration, Administration.
How to Declare a Minor/Certificate:
If you think you’re ready to pursue an AFA minor/certificate, please click here to download the “Program of Study Declaration Form.” Fill out the form, and contact AFA Director, Dr. Ogechi Emmanuel Anyanwu (firstname.lastname@example.org or 859.622.3483) to consult on your classes and get the form signed.